Do you ever have trouble falling or staying asleep? Aromatherapy essential oils can’t cure your insomnia or the reason you have it but using the right oils can put you to sleep and help you stay there. If you have a serious sleep disorder I suggest you see your physician but if you only have an occasional bout of restlessness, the following tips are worth trying to see which method you like best.
Aromatherapy Sleep Aids
- put a drop of either chamomile, lavender or clary sage on a cotton ball and leave it close to your pillow
- make an aromatherapy bed linen spray in a plant spray bottle by blending 10 drops each of these calming oils with sedative qualities: lavender, chamomile, clary sage and bergamot in 1 cup of water
- take a relaxing bath (at least an hour before you plan to go to sleep) and add 5 to 7 drops of lavender or chamomile to 1 teaspoon of jojoba or liquid shea oil then swish the mixture around in your bath water
- do not drink coffee or other drinks containing caffeine
- do not take a hot bath too close to the time you want to go to sleep because hot water can increase your circulation and make it hard for you to get to sleep
- do not use stimulating essential oils such as basil, oregano, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, or bay