Using massage is an excellent way to apply aromatherapy essential oils to the body as part of an alternative healing process. It is not hard to do and anyone can do it for family, friends, even for yourself. There are several different methods you can use to massage aromatherapy essential oils into the body:
- Effleurage – this is a series of gentle, soothing strokes which allow essential oils to penetrate your body and help you to relax and become calm. For this method, use your whole hands in either long or short strokes that can be either firm or gentle.
- Petrissage – is similar to gently kneading dough. Use the palm, finger tips and thumbs to slowly and gently knead the body. Petrissage is most helpful when used on fatty areas and on backs.
- Head massage – put the essential oils on your fingertips to massage the scalp. Work the fingers all over the scalp.
- For migraine and headaches – massage around the base of the neck and work your way up to the base of the scalp. Massage in this manner for a few moments with firm effleurage strokes.
- For the neck – massage the neck using small, firm circular movements from the base of the neck, up either side of the vertebrae to the base of the scalp. Massage the sides of the neck and repeat these movements in a more gentle fashion and work your way down the neck. Repeat several times using appropriate essential oils.